Rman backup status question

  • From: "Sweetser, Joe" <JSweetser@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:35:57 -0700

Greetings listers,

Can't find an answer yet (though I still have a few more tests to run)
but figured I'd ask here now.  I do a full RMAN backup nightly and then
gzip the files on disk.  The RMAN script is below.  I know that once I
gzip the files they are no longer accessible to RMAN.  I also back up
archive logs hourly and that script includes a "crosscheck archivelog
all;" command.  I do not do any crosschecks on the database backup.
However, the database backups show up as expired.  I thought rman only
checked for the files on disk if I told/asked it to but perhaps I am
wrong about this.  I am trying to figure out how/what/when a backup goes
from AVAILABLE to EXPIRED outside of issuing a crosscheck command.  This
is my retention policy: CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF
2 DAYS;

It appears to me that the backups are almost immediately expired (this
is where I still need to do some testing).  Is RMAN aware of the files
"going away" even if I don't issue a crosscheck command?  That's fine
but I want to understand when/how it checks for those backups.  I should
point out that restores work fine providing I issue a crosscheck command
once the files are gunzipped.

Target database is 9.2.0.8 running on RH Linux 2.1
Recovery catalog is 10.2.0.2 running on RH Linux 4.x

Any/all pointers/links welcome.

Thanks,
-joe

RMAN> connect target /
2> connect rcvcat rman/<pw>@rcat
3>
4> run {
5> allocate channel c1 device type disk;
6> sql 'alter system switch logfile';
7> backup
8>   incremental level 0
9>   filesperset 10
10>   format '/u03/oracle_backup/PROD/data/PROD_%U'
11>   tag MON_DB_L0_Dec_01_2008_0110AM
12>   database plus archivelog delete input;
13> sql 'alter database backup controlfile to trace';
14> release channel c1;
15> }