Ridiculously high number of commits

  • From: scott.hutchinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:58:18 +0100

All,

I have a performance problem while loading data into SAP/BW from flat files.
This process for loading the data is a standard SAP routine, and it issues a
COMMIT after each record is inserted - we have about 20 million rows to insert,
so this is a lot of commits!

We've broken the load process into 10 jobs that run concurrently, however they
spend the majority of their time sitting around waiting on "log file sync",
which is no great surprise.  I have a target of 4 hours for loading this data
into SAP's "Info Cubes", but this is currently taking 8 hours.

Does anyone have any smart ideas for lessening the impact in the database from
issuing such a high number of commits?

btw - the DB server is a 12 CPU HP running at 12% utilisation during the load.
And yes - we are also enganging SAP to see if they can improve their load
process.

Thanks,
Scott Hutchinson
Interact Analysis Ltd.