Re: Resuming an aborted RMAN database duplication

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:44:39 -0500

OK now that I've RTFM'ed Robert's 10g RMAN Backup & Recovery book
(which I've had on my shelf for almost a month), I see this:

"With RESTORE OPTIMIZATION turned ON, RMAN will not restore files
again that already exist in the restore location with the same
datafile header SCN information.  This applies to duplication as well:
if duplication restores a file, and then duplication restarts, RMAN
will not restore the file again.  However, if you have applied even
one archive log to the file, it will be restored again."

Other reference material (Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide)
indicate that RMAN will ALWAYS behave that way, and don't mention a
changeable parameter regarding "restore optimization".  My target
instance does have "BACKUP OPTIMIZATION" on.  However I'm running the
duplication from the host of the auxiliary instance, which has no
prior RMAN configurations.

The log indicates to me that it was still applying incremental
backups, not yet doing archivelog recovery.  Here's it the log snippet
before failure:

channel aux8: starting incremental datafile backupset restore
channel aux8: specifying datafile(s) to restore from backup set
... list of datafiles ...
channel aux8: reading from backup piece /rman/bvig5trp_1_1
... messages showing channels being released ...
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 04/27/2007 13:31:10
RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script
ORA-19870: error reading backup piece /rman/bvig5trp_1_1
ORA-19505: failed to identify file "/rman/bvig5trp_1_1"
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
Linux-x86_64 Error: 2: No such file or directory
Additional information: 3

Any thoughts?

Also on page 485 of the Freeman/Hart 10g book, there is a typo
resulting in "ORALCE_HOME".  ;)

On 4/27/07, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert,

This time I had RMAN abort due to a backup piece missing (rsync was
started too early).  We are doing a DUPLICATE DATABASE and renaming
data/log files in the process to directories based on a new SID.

How does one pick up from here, once I get all the backup pieces in
place?  I've tried re-running the duplicate command, hoping against
hope that it will be smart enough to just pick up on its own, but it
doesn't look that way.

Don.

--
Don Seiler