Re: Results of my poll so far... User conferences... are they too expensive?

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <careljan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:05:26 +0100

Stupid answer. Look at my sig.

That's the short reaction.

Now for the long one.

If I, as a contractor, can afford to contribute to user conferences by
presenting there (having to travel across the pond at my own cost, and
cover for lodger many times as well (and many times not, thanks to the
hospitality of many friends!!!!)), it is affordable to other contractors
as well. If not, you're penny wise, pound foolish.

And if your boss isn't willing to pay? Find yourself another boss

I've seen not-so-well payed not-self-employed DBA's taking up leave and
pay for the Hotsos Symposium (not the cheapest around!). I see that
happen at other conferences as well.

Real USER-conferences (RMOUG, UKOUG, OUGF, OUGS etc.) are REAL value for
money. If you see how much work is done by volunteers (year after year
the same volunteers, many delegates seem to think the term user group
means they can be the USER of the GROUP that is foolish enough to put in
all that unpayed effort) it is unbelievable how much content of high
quality they gather in many, many sessions.

User conferences too cheap? Ha! I've seen every euro/dollar paying off.
Before I started presenting, I was a paying delegate at 6-8 conferences
a year. I was a contractor, money for a conference was money not for the
family at home. Yes, that was a lot of money, in the days the dollar
rate was the inverse of what it is today. Out of pocket, it was over 25%
of my annual turnover, let alone the unbillable time as the result of
traveling around for 6-8 weeks per year. However, it really
rocket-propelled my career. It payed off. I was able to take up more
difficult gigs. I was able to raise my rate. I wouldn't have been what
I'm now, if I hadn't learned so much from so many generous, wisdom and
knowledge sharing people like Anjo, Cary, Connor, Gaja, Jonathan, Karen,
Mogens, Pete, Stephen, Tanel and many, many others in and outside of the
Oaktable Network.

Once again, look at my sig.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel