Re: Restricting Oracle to one processor

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jason Heinrich" <jheinrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 22:55:11 -0600

Jason,

   Sorry.  I did not read closely enough the first time.  I think I see now
what is confusing you...

*>  A multi-core processor is still just one chip,*

No.  This is not correct.  An Intel Quad-Core processor has (for now)
*two*processor chips, each with one core.  AMD quad-core processors
have all
processing units on one chip.  For now.  Three years from now, who knows
what they might be marketing?

Multi-core processors may, in fact, be implemented with any number of
processor chips.  I recall an announcement from Sun Microsystems a while
back that could actually allow a *single* processor core to be implemented
with *multiple* chips, although I doubt anybody would ever choose to do
that.

*> so my understanding of the "multi-chip module" wording would be something
like a daughtercard with multiple processors on it.*

That is *one* form that a MCM can take, but there are many others.  Often,
MCMs will appear as a small square or rectangle of fibre-glass circuit card,
with a metal cap on top.  Beneath the metal cap, there are multiple chips.
As packaging technology has improved, MCMs can now appear as multiple chips
embedded in ceramic or -- I expect -- even the "black goo" that has commonly
been used to package single chips.

The early MCMs from Intel (e.g., Pentium-II processors) looked very much
like you describe -- a "card" mounted vertically in a "slot".  But they now
commonly appear as the standard pin-grid-array packages that most of of
think of when we picture a "CPU" or a "chip".  I suspect that you will find
-- if you dig deeply enough -- that *most* modern CPUs are actually
delivered as multi-chip-modules.  I could be mistaken about that, though.

By the way...  What is a "chip"?  Most people picture a black oblong with
little metal legs on the side or a big grid of pins on the bottom when the
envision a "chip".  This is not correct.  A chip is a (usually) oblong piece
of (usually) silicon crystal, with integrated circuits etched on its
surface.  One or more of these "chips" go into one of those black oblong
things (called "packages") with those legs or pins.  When a package contains
more than one "chip", we call it a multi-chip-module.

*>  One motherboard socket, but multiple physical CPUs. *

Actually, most MCMs contain *only one* CPU chip, but may contain memory
controllers, memory chips, GPUs, and many other things.  Under the new
licensing rules, every one of those chips now counts as a "occupied socket",
that is a "CPU", for licensing purposes.

*> However, if you were going to purchase SE or SE1 licenses, I would
definitely ask a licensing expert to be sure.*

Yes, you should!  But be *certain *when you are consulting an "expert" that
they actually (fully) understand what a Multi-Chip-Module is!  (Note: your
Oracle sales rep probably does not...)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead