Restricting Oracle to one processor

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:53:47 -0700

Greetings,

I have been asked the following questions by the windows administrator
on one of the databases I administer. Is it possible to restrict Oracle
to one of the two processors. We would be running Oracle 10gR2 on
Windows server 2003. Essentially the desire is to use one processor for
Oracle and the other for windows. This is not a VMWARE type
configuration either.

"The issue here is that if we purchase a system with dual quad-core
processors, we only want to use one quad-core for the primary Oracle
installation and have the other quad-core available for VMs. That way we
only have to commit two of our four Oracle licenses to the installation.
Just looking at how to maximize hardware capabilities and minimize
software costs."

My initial searching indicates that this is probably not possible let
alone a good idea. My understanding is that by doing this you lose the
ability to balance between Oracle and the O/S and that the kernel does
this much better on its own, who is keeping track of what essentially. I
am aware of the Windows parameter NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS but as I
understand it setting it to one means you know longer have the second
processor available. And who knows if this meets licensing restrictions.

Basically it seems to me to be not a good idea but I am open to
comments.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis