Re: Resetlogs and new incarnation

  • From: Chris Marquez <marquezemail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jill.Drocea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:42:17 -0500

The term "incarnation" is used when referring to RMAN (Catalog DB) and maybe
DataGuard?
If you tried to backup this database with RMAN (9i) to a Catalog database it
would complain that you have "new incarnation" of the database.
And under RMAN 9i Catalog you would have to do some manually jockeying to be
able to backup the database again using the same catalog db.

As the others said this is still the same database with the same id.
Further amusing if you restore *this* database to another server it to will
have the same id number.
Oracle have several options for changing the internal database ID for these
restore situations.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA