RE: Requirement to run as user SYS

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:41:15 -0500

Barb,

        I for one make extremely limited use of SYS.  Basically we use
it to startup and shutdown as well as creating databases.  Everything
else can be done from a normal user account that has been granted the
DBA role.  It's also safer.  Drop some of those SYS objects and your DB
will crash & not restart.=20

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA