Re: Replication Advice Needed

  • From: Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:47:41 -0400

Charlotte,
If there is no DML at remote database use MM and your life is very easy.
If there will be DML at remote you have choice of using multi master
AR or streams. Choose one where you are more confident. If I have to
learn both, it would be streams.

The Streams architecture is lot more flexible than Oracle
Replication's. This leads me to suspect that Oracle will be pushing
Streams over Replication in subsequent releases, so I would expect new
features in Streams, like DDL changes, that aren't in Oracle
Replication. Realistically, though, I don't expect any serious
movement away from Replication for at least a few releases, so I
wouldn't tend to be overly concerned on this front.

Streams replication is log based. Capture process catpures DDL and DML
changes. So no additional overhead on user transactions. (Mutil maser
uses internal trigger and this will get fired for each DML. There's a
slight overhead on user transactions)

Oracle Replication is a significantly more mature product-- it is
quite usable with older databases. Oracle Streams is a much newer
technology and is only usable among different 9i or higher databases.
Most competent Oracle developers and DBA's are familiar with Oracle
Replication, while many fewer have any real experience with Streams.

Regards
Sandeep