Re: Replacing a view with selects on it

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 23:52:20 +0200

Thanks Daniel, Wolfgang and Justin,

@Daniel - I didn't consider a change of a view *structure*. I meant only a
change of the data selected in the view, e.g. a change of the where clause
in the view. From this point of view the only *repeatable read* requirement
is, that the select don't crash or return wrong result if the view is
replaced while performed.

@Wolfgang - good point; the only access of the view while parsing the
query - but what happen if the query gets out from library cache and needs
to be reparsed?

Could there be a situation that it cause some troubles?

@Justin - yes I admit that the safest way is to perform the change direct
with DML. The database guaranties that all is transactional safe. But  e.g.
in case if you have a massive change in a big snapshot it could be
preferable to *prepare* the change in stage area and to *publish* the new
version of this snapshot via a replacement of a view (e.g. exchange
partition and repointing the access view to the new partition)

regards

Jaromir D.B. Nemec

From: "Wolfgang Breitling" <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>