Replacing a view with selects on it

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:49:31 +0200

H,

There is a common strategy in some DSS systems to refresh the data by replacing
the access views (they are repointed to the new version of data). In case there
is defined a loading window (with no access) I guess this approach is very
safe. But what about a 24*7 environment, if there is no "midnight" to do the
replace.

Is it acceptable to simple replace a view if there could be some session
reading it?

I performed some simple test:

1) start long select from a view

2) create or replace the view while the session is running
3) see what happen:)

 The reader session did "survived" (I guess with the cached  version of the
view).

But it is no prove!

Are there situation, where this approach can cause problems? Any experience
with this topic on the list?

Thanks

Jaromir D.B. Nemec

http://www.db-nemec.com