Re: Replacement for onames in 10g

  • From: Jesper Haure Norrevang <jhn.aida@xxxxxx>
  • To: bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:23:09 +0100

Bob,

Oracle Names is not supported on Oracle 10g
(client). Directory Naming is the replacement.

Oracle Names wasn't easy the first time we
tried it a decade ago.The same is true today for
Directory Naming with OID within 10g.

If you are familiar with 10g Application Server,
then it might be a shortcut to do a default
installation of 10g AS. With it you will get
an working OID, a SQLNET.ORA file and, a
LDAP.ORA file, that are needed for clients
using Directory Naming.

With 10g AS, you also get a TNSNAMES.ORA,
which you need on the server side in order to
start OID, since you cannot do a lookup of the
database name in OID before OID is stated.

I admit, it is a very short introduction to
OID and Directory Naming, but it is the
future - whether we like it or not.

If you want to postpone the pain, you
might stay on 9iR2 on the client side
and maintain one 8i or 9i Oracle Names
Servier. 8i and 9i clients can connect to
10g databases using Oracle Names.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jesper Haure Norrevang