RE: Replacement for onames in 10g

  • From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:57:22 +1100

We announced quite some time back that OiD was the replacement for Oracle N=
ames going forward from the 9i release timeframe, so you won't find namesct=
l at all from what I understand in 10g.

Having said that, the options that I'm aware of are:

1. Use OiD
2. Replicate tnsnames everywhere
3. Use a central tnsnames file and then use the tns_admin environment varia=
ble to point to it.  =

All going from memory so take it with a grain of salt.  :)

 =

Pete
 =

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
 =

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA