Re: Removing ALL_ views from users - more info

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:52:06 -0500

List,

My auditor pointed to this paragraph in a paper posted on Pete Finnigan's
site, Database Security 101 by Richard D. Newallis, SPRINT
www.geocities.com/ckempster/wpapers/oracle/databasesecurity101.pdf

As innocent as the all_users view may seem, it can allow users to find
potential holes in your defenses by giving the names of accounts which the
DBA may not have protected.
At this point I'm considering revoking ALL_USERS from PUBLIC and based on
Mayen's note, maybe ALL_SOURCE. Fortunately we are just preparing for an
application release cycle that will provide an opportunity to test this a
bit.

I think the philosophy is "defense in depth". Not just placing total
reliance on a password. Reminds me of my days in the nuclear power plant
industry. Prove that no pipe can break. Then assume the worst pipe does
break, prove that the containment vessel (which Chernobyl didn't have) can
contain the mess. The assume the containment vessel breaches, count the
casualties for a given wind direction. And you thought your day was bad :-)

Dennis