Re: Remove datafile from controlfile: recover partial database until time

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: Stefan P Knecht <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:03:39 +0200

>Unless I'm heavily mistaken, RMAN knows about "skip offline"?

it knows but there is allways a but: documentation states "The RECOVER
DATABASE command does not recover any files that are offline normal or
read-only at the point in time to which the files are being recovered."
I.e. my understanding is RMAN double checks. Which is a good thing. It
makes rman recovery more foul proof.
Indeed "alter database datafile 4 offline drop;" for example does not
prevent rman from erroring with "datafile 4 needs to be restored"

  From:       Stefan P Knecht <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>

  To:         "Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx>

  Cc:         "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Date:       2011.11.09 21:18

  Subject:    Re: Remove datafile from controlfile: recover partial database

On 09.11.2011, at 19:12, Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx wrote:

> yes, exactly. dumping(backing in oracle terms) controlfile to trace gives
> me the "create controlfile" command which I can edit to skip datafiles I
do
> not need to restore.
>
> My question is if this (removing datafile record from control file) can
be
> done by using individual SQL commands.
> My understanding is that this is not possible: the whole tablespace can
be
> dropped together with datafiles but for that the database has to be
opened.

> The problem is RMAN: I do not know how to feed into rman what datafiles
> skip. RMAN skips at tablespace level only which is fine but the
tablespace
> I deal with is a few TBs in size.
>
> If one looks into alert log while RMAN recovers then it is possible to
see
> that rman builds a list of datafiles to recover but ok, this interface is
> hidden as far as I understand and the least I want is to use hidden
> features unless really necessary. But it looks like RMAN operates at
> tablespace level only (?)

>  From:       "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>

>  To:         <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  Date:       2011.11.09 18:33

>  Subject:    RE: Remove datafile from controlfile: recover partial
database until time

> Backing up the controlfile to trace gives you an ascii version you can
edit
> and use to create a controlfile for the partial clone recovery with the
> syntax all conveniently in place. Is that what you're talking about?

Of