Re: Relocating the partitions of an index on a composite partitioned table.

  • From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:54:07 -0500

I agree, it appears to work, and even reports that it works.
However, applications depending on those indexes (particularly if it's a PK or UK)
will fail. I did just what you described below on one table that I moved using
alter table move subpartition ...
and then rebuild index subpartion.
The load the following day failed because the PK on the table was unusable.
It took dropping and recreating the index to fix.

Rodd

Deepak Sharma wrote:

You would need to rebuild subpartitions (not
partition), or am I missing something here?

create table t1
(
       emp_id          number,
       date_key        number,
       zone            char(1)
)
PARTITION BY RANGE ( date_key )
       SUBPARTITION BY LIST (zone)
               SUBPARTITION TEMPLATE (
                       subpartition P_N values ('N'),
                       subpartition P_S values ('S'),
                       subpartition P_E values ('E'),
                       subpartition P_W values ('W')
               )
(
       partition P20051003 values less than (
20051004 ),
       partition P20051004 values less than (
20051005 ),
       partition P20051005 values less than (
20051006 ),
       partition P20051006 values less than (
20051007 )
)
/

create index emp_id_ix on t1(emp_id) local;

select index_name, partition_name, subpartition_name
from user_ind_subpartitions where index_name =
'EMP_ID_IX';

EMP_ID_IX  P20051003  P20051003_P_N
EMP_ID_IX  P20051003  P20051003_P_S

SQL> alter index EMP_ID_IX rebuild subpartition
P20051003_P_N tablespace users01;

Index altered.

- Deepak

--- Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually I just went through this exercise.
With composite partitioned indexes, you need to do a
drop and create.
Rebuild will not work.

Rodd

Rodd Holman