Reinstall OS completely without reinstalling Oracle

  • From: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:23:16 +0000

So, here is the problem.
We were given HP DL585G7s with RHEL5.3 installed. I installed 11.2.0.3.0 RAC.

We just found that the DL585G7 is only certified with RHEL5.5 or later.

The SA team would rather install the OS from scratch than do an upgrade, and I
understand the reasoning behind it.

The oracle grid and db homes are in /var/oracle.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reinstall the OS from scratch without
touching /var/oracle so we don't have to reinstall Oracle? I'm thinking
/etc/oratab can be save/restored or recreated, but I think the big problem
would be that init scripts and so forth would be removed by the fresh install.

Thanks,

Jed