Re: Refreshing a multi TB database

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:03:27 -0500

Allen,

Just as an example, QA have often very valid requirements and current
software quality just confirms that those requirements are not being
fulfilled. Complexity grows, development time shrinks, refresh
requirements getting higher. So getting back and saying don't waste my
time is not always appropriate behavior to say the least.

I was working in the environment when there were 7 (and about to grow
to 10) different test systems refreshed from production (full size)
some weekly, some daily and some on demand. At the same time depending
on refresh technique some of them took only 10-15 minutes to refresh
500 GB application schema. And it was not a single database. And it
was practical to manage.

Cheers,
Alex

On 3/20/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm sure there are valid requirements for real-time data in
pre-production environments somewhere in the universe, but in the real
world I've experienced over the last 8 years, monthly/quarterly
refreshes have been just fine for development and testing.  If they have
a valid reason, then let them present it.  If you can't shoot holes in
it, then grant their wish, but if they don't have a truly valid reason,
then tell them to stop wasting your time.  I know it's feasible, but not
necessarily practical, or the best use of a DBA's time.

Regards,
Brandon