Re: Reducing screen time

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 08:37:49 +0100

Good Morning Kunwar,

In the UK we have this set of rules: https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/.

Also, I was educated into taking an eye break every 15-20 minutes, where you look out the window or across the office etc, something to change where your eyes are focussing.

Get up an walk around every hour or so - go to the loo, make a coffee etc. Good for the eyes as well!

The crud we hear about "blue light" being *harmful* is "woo". It isn't a big enough problem to make any difference to your eyes. It *might* have an effect on your sleeping habits though - not that I have found it makes any difference. One link is https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/ which states:

White LEDs may actually emit more blue light than traditional light sources, even though the blue light might not be perceived by the user. This blue light is unlikely to pose a physical hazard to the retina. But it may stimulate the circadian clock (your internal biological clock) more than traditional light sources, keeping you awake, disrupting sleep, or having other effects on your circadian rhythm.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

--