Re: Reduce licensing costs - disable cores?

  • From: przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:03:51 +0100

Hi all,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:19:09AM -0700, Robert Laverty wrote:
> We are planning a hardware refresh and management wants to move to Oracle
> T4-2 servers.  These come with two 8-core CPUs, which breaks down to 8
> "processors" for Oracle licensing (11gR2 EE).  We're currently licensed for 6
> processors on these boxes.  Our application is all I/O and seldom exceeds 25%
> CPU.
>
> I have two questions:
> Has anyone used psradm to disable cores in Solaris to reduce licensing costs?
>  Oracle's software sales guys claim that they don't know of any way to shut
> off cores.  There was a similar post here last April, but I didn't see an
> answer.  We want to keep it simple and avoid VM partitioning.

AFAIK the only partitioning acceppted by Oracle is either LDOM-s or Solaris
Containers (= Solaris zones + resource pools).
We use the second one.

> Is a server more reliable with two CPUs than one?  Our admin insists that the
> redundancy is important, but I'm too skeptical to accept the premise that
> Solaris/Oracle will survive a catastrophic CPU failure.   We're running a
> simple dedicated server with remote hot backup - no RAC.

If one CPU fails for sure you will have panic. But the server is going to boot
and run with just one CPU - it is not a problem.
We lost 4 CPU when motherboard failed (many yeasr ago) - but after a panic the
server started and went ok.

Regards
Przemek (przemol)