RedoLog/writer clarification

  • From: Ram K <lambu999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:05:27 -0700

Hi all,
=20
   What is the need to mirror a log file if it is multiplexed? If
mirroring is to protect against hardware failure and multiplexing is
to protect against software corruption (or accidental deletion of log
files), when you multiplex it you create different copy in a different
disk (hopefully). Wouldnt that make mirroring unnecesary?  If you can
mirror log files, well and good, not a must; but just make sure it is
multplexed. How is this assumption?

    While on it, I am curious about Log writer slaves. Does each slave
write to a different log member in the log group?  (I was thinking it
wouldnt make any sense for multiple processes trying to write to the
same file, that too when writing is sequential - I might be wrong) .=20
Are LGWR slaves still being used in 9i/10g?
  =20
--=20
Thanks,
Ram.