Re: RedHat 6 RAC Specific Questions & Concerns

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:33:22 -0500

I have set up clusters in all of these configurations - raw, CFS and ASM
for OCR/voting.
A few weeks ago I unexpectedly had to completely recover a multi-TB cluster
database from backups.  It was an intense situation with several levels of
management watching over our shoulders and sweating every minute of
downtime.  In this case the OCR and voting disk were stored on ASM.

We did get everything recovered - but there are a lot of surprises in store
for you guys when you first try to recover a database where OCR/Voting are
on ASM.  The problem is all the bootstrapping and interdependencies between
ASM and CRS.  And they changed the syntax of recovery commands between 11.2
point releases.  And there are still gaps in the documentation - even on
metalink/MOS.

After my experience with that recovery, I would personally counsel people
to avoid putting the OCR/Voting disks on ASM when possible until it
stabilizes a little (no more syntax changes in point releases!!) and until
the documentation is a bit better.  I would recommend still using raw
devices -- even with 11gR2.  Contrary to popular belief, raw devices *are*
still supported by the 11gR2 software (this is in the docs and on MOS)...
you just have to use the command line to configure it because Oracle
removed support from the installer and other GUIs.

On a related note, I would also recommend that you use dedicated volumes
for your OCR and Voting Disks -- this offers a few advantages over using a
volume which also hosts other data (data files, ACFS volumes, etc).  For
example... try doing a space reorg that requires dropping a ASM disk that
has a voting disk on it...  and BTW I think the 12c docs mention this as a
recommendation too.

But note that the 12c docs state that they have completely removed support
for raw devices in that release and whenever the time finally comes to
upgrade to 12c you will be forced to migrate to ASM or CFS for your voting
disk and OCR.  IMHO Oracle's whole architectural decision to force the OCR
and voting disks into ASM volumes is completely premature.  ASM is
generally treated as a "cluster resource" which can't start until
clusterware is running and you need lots of "special" backdoors to get the
OCR/Voting disks into it.  It's beyond me why they decided not to allow raw
devices anymore.  Especially when they still recommend a "quorum" volume
dedicated to voting disks in 12c!  If a LUN is only for a voting disk, then
adding an ASM layer only does one thing: complicate recovery.  I really
don't see any advantage at all.

Sorry, /end ranting...  and just my opinion anyway, after a recent
irritating experience with a restore...

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider