RE: RedHat 6 RAC Specific Questions & Concerns

  • From: "Herring, David" <HerringD@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 15:23:59 -0500

I know I'm REALLY late to the game on this, but it's been a relatively painful
past experience for me, similar to what others have shared.  We have various DR
systems that are kept in sync using SRDF.  After a few tries under 11gR2 we
realized we needed documentation explaining 2 different scenarios when bringing
up the DR db - SRDF replicated OCR/Voting disks and when those disks were
skipped in replication.   As a result I put together a 14-page document
explaining in detail the entire process.  Because you all have been so nice in
sharing links on this I'll have to make sure to compare my notes.

Jeremy, I totally feel your pain about a restore under pressure.  We had a
6-node RAC that I was trying to bring up and due to the emergency and
importance of this db, I had to share my entire desktop with a large group of
people on an emergency call, which started around 10pm and finished sometime
after 8am the next day.  I believe 1 or more 3-letter acronym folks joining the
call to throw their weight around at Oracle to get the help we needed, when we
needed it.  For me that made things worse because it seemed like the entire
client's company pushed Oracle to help me, then Oracle pulled in big-wigs and
it was all back to me again.  And everyone was watching everything I was typing.

Dave Herring