RE: Red Hat Linux vs Oracle Enterprise Linux

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx" <wellmetus@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:18:46 -0700

I've been running OAS 10.1.2.3 on OEL4.6 with no problems for a year or two
now.  When I deployed it, I don't think it was supported to run on OEL5, but
maybe that's changed?  I don't have much experience with Red Hat, but I've been
very happy with the price, performance and support of OEL over the past couple
years and last time I checked it was significantly cheaper than Red Hat, but
that may have changed too.

We also run the 10.2.0.4 database on OEL5.2 and have been very happy with that
as well.  We run it on top of VMWare and no problems there either.  One nice
thing about OEL is that you can load the Oracle-Validated RPM packages to
quickly set it up with all the recommended tweaks for Oracle DB, but not sure
if they have a validated package for OAS too.

For more info:
MOS Doc ID 437743.1
http://oss.oracle.com/el5/oracle-validated/

Regards,