RE: Recovery of offline datafile

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mdnajeeb_1634@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mdnajeeb_1634@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 01:16:22 -0500

Ok, so, don't use export/import.

As I said previously, move the tables to a new tablespace and rebuild the

Here's a bit more detail:
1.)  create tablespace your_new_tablespace .....;
2.)  for each table in the problem tablespace, do
            alter table table_name move nologging tablespace
your_new_tablespace;
3.)  for each index in the problem tablespace, do
            alter index index_name rebuild nologging tablespace
your_new_tablespace;

Then drop the problem tablespace.

Only tables, indexes, and clusters are segments.  Objects such as views,
synonyms, and stored procedures only exist in the data dictionary, and will not
have any components in any user or application tablespaces.

Hope that helps,

-Mark
From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "mdnajeeb_1634@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mdnajeeb_1634@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
"oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, 4 November, 2008, 9:03 PM

Well, first, try a ‘recover datafile ‘/path/to/offline/datafile’

It’s possible, depending on how long the file has been offline, that you’ll
recover it from just the on-line redo.  (Perhaps not likely, but it’s worth a
try.)

If recovery is not possible, the next best option is to drop the tablespace
containing the file.  If there’s data in that tablespace that you want to
retain, you could create a new tablespace, and then move any tables out of the
problem tablespace into a new tablespace, and rebuild indexes into the new
tablespace, then drop the problem tablespace.

Those are the most simple and straightforward solutions.

Will either one work for you?

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.