Re: Recovering a standby database with rman

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 00:26:49 -0400

Hi Howard!

Since you need the rman catalog to backup production from standby, catalog will lump the backups of the same DBID under the same database. That means that you can backup archive logs on the primary and the database on the standby. When restoring you can use either one. Rman will be able to use any backup of archive logs that it finds in the catalog. Enjoy your Memorial Day and don't restore any backups during the holiday.

Regards

On 5/28/2021 5:25 AM, Howard Latham wrote:

Oracle 19c
RH EL 7

We are struggling to understand how in 19 a standby can be backed up and then recovered from tape. A common method to reduce load on a primary DB. The reason is that if standby redologs are being applied rather than archived logs there seems to be a 'hole' in the backup if the timing is wrong and a log switch does not occur on the primary but redo is applied through the standby redo log. Has anyone experienced problems with this? Obviously on a primary we would force a log switch but you can't do that on a standby. If I've missed a doc on this apologies and please point me in the right direction!

Best Wishes

Howard A. Latham

--
Mladen Gogala