Re: Rebuild Indexes

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:20:45 +0200

We'll I've been lucky enough that my FND_CONCURRENT_REQUESTS tables indexes
haven't been growing that much (I usually delete 2 months old data every
week). I haven't checked which indexes are on that table, but I assume that
there are ones on concurrent request ID which is continuously increasing.
But when I delete all entries older than 2 months, I'll be deleting lot's of
of leaf blocks completely empty. And completely empty leaf blocks are put in
free list, so they can be reused by subsequent inserts with new ID values.

There is an issue with branch blocks because they never get reused for
another value range than originally allocated for, but since branch blocks
are small part of an index anyway (branch blocks are key compressed), I've
seen no real index growth problem on this particular table.

Tanel.