Re: Real Application Testing (RAT) option

  • From: William Robertson <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx" <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 00:33:13 +0100

SQL Performance Analyzer is great, though subject to some practical
limitations such as your temp/staging tables being empty at the time
of your test. All the same, it's a neat, scriptable way to run
repeatable tests on a representative set of SQL statements and get
nice comparison reports, all from your desktop.

Database Replay is a brilliant idea in theory but I don't know if many
sites could make it work in practice as part of a test/deployment
workflow. You need a box with a comparable spec to production and some
serious admin privs that DB dev teams don't generally have in my
experience, otherwise you'll spend more time raising tickets and
booking conference calls than actually replaying stuff. Then again if
you're an actual DBA and you want to test upgrades etc then you're
probably far better placed to take advantage of it than I ever could
be as a developer.

William Robertson

On 5 May 2015, at 23:47, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any of you use Oracle's Real Application Testing option? Do you
love/hate it? I am thinking of getting it but I haven't heard a lot of
talk about it. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff