Re: Re[5]: Linux at a reasonable price

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:38:54 -0800 (PST)

Michael,

It just so happens that I have a copy right here.
it was not SLES 8.0, as they handed out a copy of that
at the Oracle Installfest as LinuxWorldExpo.

The "Novell Nterprise Linux Services Evaluation Kit"
includes SuSE Linux Standard Server 8.0 on 4 CDs.
If you make a mistake and put in CD #2, it installs as
United Linux 1.0.

I've left my NFR copy of SLES 8 still unbroken.
Not enough room on the laptop, but there's room for it
at home.

I think that this list is _exactly_ the group that Red
Hat wants to acquire developer licenses, for their
clients and production users to eventually deploy on.
If they don't get the mindshare of the DBAs, the
terrorists win.

Pd

http://www.cvent.com/EventManagement/Summary/Summary.asp?eCode=idnlibciltyiibtlirbilbdiibblir

http://www.redhat.com/solutions/industries/developer/
> > > under "Standard Developer Subscription"
> > > click on "Subscribe Now"
> > > and pay $299 USD (hey, where's my commission ;-)
> > >
> > > 2) Notice you get access to any of the three
> > > enterprise versions (WS, AS, ES) for download
> from
> > > RHN, and you can use either 2.1 or 3.0. You get
> > full
> > > RHN to get updates, etc.. But, you can not use
> any
> > > of
> > > these s/w for a production server. The limit is
> > you
> > > can only register five servers, e.g. "Five
> 1-year
> > > entitlements to any Red Hat software product".
> > >
> > > 3) The full scoop is:
> > > Standard Developer Subscription
> > >
> > >     * Five 1-year entitlements to any Red Hat
> > > software
> > > product
> > >     * Easy ISOs: OS, Source, and Documentation
> ISO
> > > Images
> > >     * Red Hat Network Update Module Service
> 1-year
> > >     * Quarterly OS Updates
> > >     * Beta Program Participation (coming soon)
> > >     * Access to all white papers and case
> studies
> > > (coming soon)
> > >     * Available via download only
> > >
> > > 4) <RANT> My opinion is that RH is the way to go
> > on
> > > LINUX today. After Novell bought SUSE, I think
> for
> > > legal reasons, I expect SUSE to slip behind RH
> on
> > > features for the next few months. Now that's
> sure
> > > offend someone, sorry. No worries, because I'm
> > told
> > > that I'm wrong about this, but to me Novell has
> > been
> > > dead for me (ex CNE and C/C++ NLM developer) for
> > > couple years. I attended all the Novell
> > conferences
> > > where the competent developers kept leaving and
> > the
> > > guys pushing the slides last year were doing the
> > > presentations next year. The problem being they
> > had
> > > no
> > > idea about technical stuff. So, I expect the
> > > Novell-SUSE relationship may slow down SUSE
> > progress
> > > on LINUX, even though SUSE remains in europe.
> > > </RANT>
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Mike Thomas
> > >
> > > (PS: Jonathan, this has got to be a pain after
> you
> > > already paid for SUSE. I didn't know either.
> Ugh.)

=== message truncated ===