Re: Re[2]: to_number question

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:33:19 +0300

> This begs the question of how the optimizer should decide
> whether it's safe to merge a subquery and main query.
> Clearly, the optimizer seems to have made the wrong call
> in the case of the query we've been talking about.

I actually agree with both sides:
  - with Wolfgang that a true relational database is meant to work with
"relational" queries and doesn't have to support any ill constructions which
users come up with.
  - on the other hand I definitely agree with Stephen and Jonathan that a
$40000 per CPU modern commercial database product should be able to work
around this kind of issue by itself.

Tanel.