Re: Re[2]: slightly ot but oracle/linux related

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:47:39 -0500

On 02/19/2004 09:53:12 AM, Jonathan Gennick wrote:

> Oh, come now. Disk partitioning isn't all that difficult a
> concept to understand. A good interface can make it more
> accessible, and also a less risky operation.

As long as I don't get the "where is my data" question, it's fine
with me. As for the concepts, a friend of mine decided to
change root FS from ext2->ext3, because she has read that journaling
file systems are safer. Needless to say, she was a Linux beginner.
What did she do? She boots from his installation CD (Mandrake), runs
mkfs -t ext3 on his former root partition, backs the contents of
the newly created partition to another FS mounted for that occasion
(yes, backup was done  AFTER mkfs, so the backup file wasn't all
that big) and attempts to reboot the system. She woke me up at 10:30
on the last Saturday (st. Valentines Day). We've both spent that day
doing things with CD's: I was installing 10g and testing public
domain SW and she was re-installing the cooker. That much about
understanding the concepts. There's certain kind of people against
which there is no protection. They're just so inventive. That is why I
prefere laymen not doing disk partitioning. Usually, with any
partition utility, you can only make one mistake. Let's face it: Linux
is a very nice OS - for a data processing professional. The other 99%
of human population on this planet would suffer greatly and would
benefit nothing from Linux.