RE: Re[2]: SQLPlus -- replacement tool

  • From: "John Flack" <JohnF@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:06:50 -0500

You can still do this - just make it into PL/SQL by adding a BEGIN and END:
variable today VARCHAR2(10)
BEGIN
  SELECT TO_DATE(SYSDATE,'mm/dd/yyyy') INTO :today;
END;
/
But, then you have to get the bind variable into a substitution variable.  I
liked the addition of bind variables to SQL*Plus, but they can confuse the
uninitiated. I wish there was only one kind of variable.