Re: Re[2]: Physics of the FILTER operation within SQL_PLANE.

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:25:13 +0100

10g does have v$sys_time_model, and v$sess_time_model,
which is a step in that sort of direction.  These views give
summarised figures of the total time break down - but there
aren't many CPU figures in there.

The problem with CPU is how often and how accurately
you measure it.  It is done for each step of an SQL execution,
and you can see this in v$sql_plan_statistics (which is available
in 9.2)- but the overhead of collection is large.  Oracle (notionally)
has to collect the cpu time for every execution of every step of the plan.
You can also play around with v$sql_workarea to get some idea
of what big operations have used a lot of CPU (rather than
hammering v$sql - which is a bit labour intensive and latch-
unfriendly in a highly concurrent system).

In the 10g beta, I recall seeing a couple of queries going
from a few seconds to several minutes of CPU when I
enabled full CPU collection.  I think the strategy in the production
version is to sample, as the overhead is much smaller.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st