Re[2]: Monitoring Standard Edition in EM 12c

  • From: kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:21:04 +0300

Pete's doing such a good job at his job, (remind me to give Pete a
raise...sooooo an inside joke...:)) but if you want a look at some of the
plugins available for EM12c, check out the extensibility exchange:
http://www.oracle.com/goto/emextensibility

The API framework allows partners and third party vendors to develop and submit
plugins for review to Oracle, which are then added to this wonderful repository
of plugins once approved.
Mark is also correct, there is no need for the diagnostic pack to monitor other
database platforms, but there is some licensing by vendors for their products,
which is only fair.  There are still a considerable amount that are free
overall.

One of the biggest challenges I've overcome with third party monitoring
products, is often, when adding up the cost of hardware, vendor products and
resources used by the product to run it in parallel to what the diagnostic pack
offers, (and does so much more efficiently considering it has its own memory
buffer, background process and the always on approach) I'm able to offer more
savings in EM12c as an infrastructure management and monitoring tool vs. all
the separate products that looked quite attractive when initially priced out
individually.

When looking at cost savings, many forget to take ALL the costs associated with
a product implementation and that's when management packs start to show their
real value.  Standard edition is a great product, but if you're too 10 SQL is
consistently populated with your third party monitoring product's statements,
is it really a cost savings?

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman
Consulting Member of Technical Staff for EM

Sent from myMail for iOS

Friday, May 29, 2015, 12:22 AM -0500 from MARK BRINSMEAD
<mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>:

Actually, I believe there may be third party plugins for SQLserver and MySQL,
too.  Since I neither use OEM much, nor those databases, its just something I
(might) recall having heard discussed not something I have actively
researched.  I'd be a little surprised if a thorough search did not turn up
some kind of plugins for DB2, Postgres, etc.

I wonder, though, to what extent "monitoring" (sending email/pager alerts from
OEM) through a third-party plugin requires licensing for Diagnostics pack?
Clearly, that makes no sense for a third-party database.  But what about
monitoring an Oracle database with a third-party OEM plugin?  Can we do that
without licensing Diagnostics pack?

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Mladen Gogala < dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
On 05/28/2015 08:12 PM, Peter Sharman wrote:
Sorry, Mladen, there are a number of points where you are just flat out
wrong.  You CAN monitor non-Oracle stuff with EM12c, it's been around for
years so it's NOT a newcomer, you CAN write your own plugins, I could go
on...

PLEASE if anyone wants to know the capabilities of EM12c, ask someone who
knows the product, like me, rather than listening to this rubbish spouted by
Mladen.

If I pissed you off Mladen, too bad, you need to understand it's better to
tell the truth than just write stuff that's is flat out wrong.  I know that
will cause you to rubbish me and send lots of email about it, but I can tell
you now I will be ignoring all of it.

Pete

Hi Pete,
I answered my own question:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24473/snmp_ovw.htm#EMADM12344
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/grid-control/plugin-exchange-server-159931.html
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e35211/toc.htm
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e25161/intro.htm#EMPRF11231

There is even DB2 plugin:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e25215/toc.htm

That is a remarkable piece of work. I was wrong and I apologize to the list
for the misinformation.
It's as simple as that.
My ignorance is probably a consequence of the fact that Nagios, Zabbix and
Cacti have alive and
vibrant open source communities and a huge user base while the most of the
links I got when
searching for the OEM 12c are in oracle.com domain. The only 3rd party
plug-in really created by the 3rd party that I found was NetApp SANtricity
plug-in. Hardly a huge user base and an open source community, like the ones
for the tools above. Good luck with wrestling with the tools above. You'll
need it. I have to confess that I have never seen OEM 12c used as an
alternative to the tools above, just for the Oracle part of the world.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA