Re[2]: Export .dmp file

  • From: Peter Robson <pgro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mogens Nørgaard <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:41:53 +0100

 Mogens,

 Thanks very much for your reply - my apologies for the delay in my
 own response - an interruption for the annual vacation, don't you
 know...!

 Yes, I would indeed be interested in talking to this guy in SA. It
 seems as though we may have trod similar paths, so input would be
 useful

 cheers,

 peter
 edinburgh

MN> Peter,

MN> A guy in South Africa I talked to recently has created such a tool.
MN> Here's what he wrote to me (because I thought it sounded useful):

MN> ===================================================
MN> I am developing an import tool for oracle (can be extended to other DBs
MN> as well).

MN> The need for this arose from the shortcomings of imp, the oracle import
MN> tool.

MN> It is still very raw (does not handle raw or LOB data types), but it has
MN> a select clause for partial table imports, can import into a table even
MN> if the structure has changed from the exported table, can import into a
MN> different table name than what was exported, and can import partitioned
MN> tables on standard edition.

MN> I have already done 50 million record partial imports with it and the
MN> performance is not half bad!

MN> Anybody who wants to help refine this can mail me, they are more than
MN> welcome.

MN> Do you perhaps know where I can obtain a white paper on the .dmp
MN> formats, since I had to figure it out byte for byte so far.
MN> =====================================================

MN> I'll be happy to put you in touch with him offline.

MN> Mogens

MN> Peter Robson wrote:

>>  Thanks for that, Lex,
>>
>>  Simple reason really - I don't have a test db available right now!
>>  Although I agree absolutely that this is the preferred way. I was
>>  thinking of something like DataBee, but even that cannot extract
>>  metadata if there is data present in the dmp file.
>>
>>  Plan B however does include creating one...
>>
>>  peter
>>

>> Monday, June 21, 2004, 12:40:47 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> LdH> Hi Peter,
>> LdH> what's the reason why you don't want to use conventional import?
>> LdH> that tool is precisely meant to offer you all the flexibility you need
>> LdH> to extract only the metadata, the data, with or without grants, ...
>>
>> LdH> just import it in any test database under a DBA account, then retrieve
>> LdH> everything you want,
>> LdH> and remove the imported data again ...
>>
>> LdH> Kind regards,
>> LdH> Lex.
>>
>> LdH> ---------------------------------------------
>> LdH> visit my website at http://www.naturaljoin.nl
>> LdH> ---------------------------------------------

    mailto:pgro@xxxxxxxxx

This  e-mail  message,  and  any  files  transmitted  with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If
this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error
and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not necessarily represent  those of the British
Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability  for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the
BGS. .                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk