RE: Re: emctl fails with "failed to initialize TargetManager"

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel W. Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:42:21 -0800 (PST)

Dan,
Take a look at the $AGENT_HOME/sysman/emd/emd.properties file.  I've got a
feeling your previous DBA may have copied the file over from the other node and
now it's trying to run the same configuration for both nodes...
Just DBA intuition talking here, but take a look at them and/or do a diff on
the files in both nodes... :)

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Daniel W. Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: emctl fails with
"failed to initialize TargetManager"To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Monday,
December 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
Oracle 10.2.0.4 (64 bit) on Linux Centos 5RACI can't get the emagent started.
emctl start agent terminates with  "failed to initialize TargetManager".
Background - The person responsible for DBA support on this server is not
available and did not leave notes. The 'agent died' a few weeks ago, but no
other details. It did work at one time (and works fine on other server in
cluster) and no changes were known to have been made at the time of the agent
termination.I first tried to start the agent, but emctl reports that the agent
is running. I tried to stop the agent, but emctl reports that the agent is not
running. No emagent process is found in the process table (ps -ef | grep
emagent).The targets.xml file was missing, so I ran agentca (agentca -d -c
"<node1>,<node2>") to recreate it. However, it does not create the targets.xml.
Nor does it return any error. The output says that the
configuration was successful, but it obviously is not. Running the same command
on the working node generates a new targets.xml and the agent works fine.I'm
not very familiar with grid control agents and see nothing in the doc/logs that
provides me leads to solve the problem. And I am not seeing any configuration
differences (in the $AGENT_HOME directory structure) that is not node
related.Is there a way to set more verbose logging?Why does emctl think that
the agent is both running and not running?Thank you for any assistance,Daniel
FinkDaniel FinkOptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.comOracle
Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.comLost Data?
http://www.ora600.be/--http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l