Re: Re Oracle Licensing

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:18:56 -0500

Actually, it doesn't. You can install SQL*Developer which contains Oracle JDBC driver and can connect to almost anything newer than Oracle 8i. You can also install Instant*Client which is completely free and also includes both JDBC and ODBC clients. Instant client contains SQL*Plus. You can also install various open source GUI stuff on top of the instant client. Most notable open source, GUI tools on top of the instant client are DBeaver-CE, SQLSquirrel, Eclipse, DBD::Oracle and Tora. SQL*Developer and SQLcl are free but not open source. I assure you that all of the above can run Oracle queries.

On 11/13/18 4:43 PM, Chris Taylor wrote:

In my companies case a running database requires installed binaries - which is a licensing concern.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant