Re: Range of values for buffer_gets in stats$sql_summary

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vvardhineni@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:10:19 -0800

Vijay,

-ive values are generally due to wrap-around. Since STATSPACK data is just
snapshots of V$ views, which in turn are cumulative, you will see this issue
when your database has been up for a long time and the counter wraps around.
In the case of STATS$SQL_SUMMARY, the BUFFER_GETS is derived from
V$SQL.BUFFER_GETS. Negative values in buffer_gets may be seen in SQL that
results in a lot of buffer gets *AND* is 'kept alive' in the lib cache via
constant executions and pins. (I have one particular SQL that has this
"issue" on an Oracle Apps 11i instance)

What is the range of values for buffer_gets column in stats$sql_summary
table.  Our tables have -ve values in few cases.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

Disappointment is always inevitable; Discouragement is invariably optional

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **