Re: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

  • From: "GovindanK" <gkatteri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:58:53 -0700

Ryan

Lot of ideas have been given about this thread. Autobackup is one good concept.
It is preferred you put the dbid as part of the media handle or wherever you
can plug that in.

If you have the logfile, you can restore the control file as

rman nocatalog , connect target, set dbid , restore controlfile from
'cf_respective_handle';

This will give you a good starting point. Then  etc and restore the db.

Optionally you can backup/restore your spfile too

[1]http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/rcmsynta46.htm#93304

If you do not have backup of the init.ora /spfile you would need to create one.

HTH

GovindanK

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:42:39 +0000, ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx said:

I am using RMAN without the repository. I want to plan in case we have a total
site loss and all I have left are my tape backups which are all compressed
backupsets.

So my control files with my catalog are gone. What do you recommend as the best
way to recover if this happens? Should I backup my control files seperately on
top of the backupset? Should I do backup controlfile to trace?