RE: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

  • To: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:08:36 -0700

Brandon,

Ok, this is beginning to make sense but of course leads to one
additional piece which is unclear to me. As I understand it the default
location for autobackup pieces is the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory (as I
understand it that is true regardless of whether or not a catalog or the
controlfile is used as the repository). If one were to do the
following...

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
'?/oradata/cf_%F';

Such that the location is no longer the default is it also unnecessary
to specify the location when doing a restore from autobackup? If I am
understanding you correctly it sounds like the restore from autobackup
will find it wherever? I think that is the piece I am missing. Unless
specified as part of the restore, how does RMAN know where to look for
the piece containing the autobackups? Don't I still have to know where
it is?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis