Re: RMAN to disk & from tape

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HANDM@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:59:38 -0500

Michael,

Are you saying that you have enough disk space to land a single RMAN backup?
Is it all in a single location? If so, then what you state is fesable. Your
recovery will be more complicated since you must first retrieve the backup
copy you need and put it on disk in the exact location RMAN expects it. I
have used this configuration before.

Dennis Williams

On 8/8/06, Hand, Michael T <HANDM@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings,

V9.2.0.5     Tru64 5.1B
I'm fairly new to RMAN, and have been asked to look into the feasibility
of switching to RMAN for our backup strategy, with the goal of reducing
Legato licensing cost.  Now a tape-only strategy would be straight forward,
but we don't want to spring for the Networker Module for Oracle.  As would a
disk-only but we don't enough free disk space to keep more than one copy of
our 8-900Gb database online.

So is it possible to use RMAN to backup to disk, then move them to tape
without RMAN's involvement. and when a restore is necessary, use RMAN to
take the backup files directly from tape?  I'm willing to do a bunch of
research and testing here, but would rather not be banging my head against a
wall if this scenario is out of the question.  From other posts it sounds
like I'll have my work cut out for me at a minimum.  Thanks for your
thoughts on this matter.

Regards,
Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp.

--
This transmission is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named
herein and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential and/or