RE: RMAN "rout" table

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jifjif@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 21:36:06 -0400

I had manually applied the package changes that came with 10.2.0.4 onto a
10.2.0.3 based on the meatlink note but what the note doesn't mention is the
first time per database registered in that catalog it will go out and do a
delete of all the records between 7 and 30 days old which can take a long
time. And the space will not be reclaimed so performance does not improve as
the resync did a full scan on that table on my system. My rout table was
over 50 million records at that point so I created new catalogs in the same
db (different schemas) and started performing backups using them and as we
only had a 30 retention of backups we were completely moved over to it
within a month. Ever since then I only backup a handful of databases to one
catalog, as I have seen them compete for locks on simultaneous backups.

If you need to keep the same catalog I would recommend that you

1.      Connect via every database registered in the catalog, and perform a
resync. If the box is big enough add parallelism to the table to allow the
delete to finish quicker.
2.      rebuild the table to shrink its footprint by moving it to another
tablespace.

Or if you are brave and are willing to do some development and testing

1.      Create a new rout table and only insert the last 7 days worth of
data, adding all indexes and constraints, stats etc.
2.      Swap the names of the two tables

Ken

  _____