RE: RMAN restore times

  • To: <somckit.khemmanivanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lora Martin" <lmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:52:41 +0100

If I had BCVs available I would break the mirror then RMAN backup from
the mirror then re-sync.
You have a 2TB database. Somckit takes 4 hrs to restore a 4Gb file.
There should be / is a fundamental difference in resources or
configuration between those 2 setups.

If you have BCVs etc I would expect you to have fast tape technology and
the whole database should be restorable in maybe 4 hrs not just a 4Gb
file.

One of the major determining factors in restore times I have seen is the
time waited to load the required tape or the contention with other jobs.
That is often not taken into account when the overall time is
calculated.

John