RE: RMAN recovery question

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Karthik.Ramadoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Karthik.Ramadoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:36:05 -0500

Unless I'm mistaken (and entirely possible) you should do:

RMAN> restore controlfile from 'full_path/snapshot_controlfile_name' to 'path';

Examples:
RMAN> restore controlfile from '/u01/app/oracle/backup/enter_file_name_here' to
'/tmp/control01.ctl';

HOWEVER, I would probably recommend doing a RMAN duplicate.  Which version of
the DB are you using?

Basic instructions for 10.2.x:

1.) copy backups from primary to your new server in the same disk location as
your primary
2.) copy archivelogs from primary to your new server in the same disk location
as your primary
3.) then in RMAN connect to target (production db) and to auxiliary db (your
new copy)
4.) set your until time
5.) "duplicate target database to your_new_db_name"

I typed that in a hurry so hopefully you get the gist.

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its
employees.