RE: RMAN question on the copy of the controlfile under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory

  • From: "D Kennell" <dkenlwork@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ashoke.k.mandal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:41:49 -0500

I think these are controlled within RMAN - at least that's where I have
typically configured the settings for them.  If you issue the command:
        RMAN> show all;

you'll see the below settings.

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
'/backups/oradata/SID/ctrlfileWWT2_%F';

The default for AUTOBACKUP is typically "OFF" when a database is first
registered with RMAN.  If it's "ON", then you can specify where the control
files go, as well as their format, in the second "AUTOBACKUP FORMAT" line -
possibly $ORACLE_HOME/dbs is the default location if no other location is
configured?  For us, the previous c-files get deleted every night, so if you
modified the location, they might get deleted automatically from
$ORACLE_HOME/dbs after the next RMAN backups are run...