Re: RMAN question

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:40:24 +0800

Always take ControlFile backups with both
  a) AUTOBACKUP ON
b) sql 'backup controlfile to ...' {in fact, I have both binary and trace backups ! going to filesystems and getting included as part of filesystem (/archlogs or /redo or /orasys, whichever is appropriate) backups }

You can use those controlfile backups to do a recovery whether or not you have a repository.

At 02:25 AM Saturday, Joe Armstrong-Champ wrote:

Background: We go back and forth about whether it is better to use a repository or to just rely on the control files. I have read many emails on this list about this issue also. We have decided that using the catalog gives us more redundancy than relying on the cf alone. This is really the only reason we are using a catalog. However, we know that we can always use the cf if the catalog restore failed.

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
and
http://hemantscribbles.blogspot.com