Re: RMAN performance when using UNC paths

  • From: "Vitalis Jerome" <vitalisman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:38:33 +0200

Thanks for your answer, Jared. Some complementary information:

I'm also curious what any of this has to do with UNC paths, as
you mention it in the subject but do not explain it in the text.

The backups are taken through this automatic channel:
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '\\remote_host\e$\Oracle\Backup\%d\%d_%u_%p_%c';

I'm not at this customer's site and I can not ask the network team to
check that out. I was wondering if someone on the list had encoutered
such problems. There are several messages on the net from DBA having
seen such performance mysteries, but no explanation was given.

If the problem can not be corrected, can you give me ideas for other
solutions? The goal is to take backups on the disks of a remote
server. The server hosting the database does not have the disk
capacity to temporarily hold the backup pieces (which we could have
transfered through the UNC path and its good performance with OS
commands).

Regards,
Jerome