Re: RMAN performance when using UNC paths

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vitalisman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 09:43:44 -0700

We have a number of windows servers that are quite
capable of saturating their networks when making
backups with RMAN.

There's not enough information here to make any recommendation
other than you should work with your network operations folks
to find out why the backups take so long.

I'm also curious what any of this has to do with UNC paths, as
you mention it in the subject but do not explain it in the text.

Jared

On 5/5/06, Vitalis Jerome <vitalisman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

It is not advisable to take RMAN backups through the network on
Windows. However this is the solution we have to deal with for one of
our customers.
All backups take about 10 times longer than they should (taking the
backup to a local disk and then transfering the backup pieces on the
UNC path is 10 times quicker, this matches the maximum bandwidth of
the link).

Oracle support just answered that it was a Windows issue and that they
could not help.
I've read a few posts about similar problems on the net, but none were
answered.

Any idea?

That's Oracle 9.2.0.5.0 on Windows 2000, latest OS patches.

Jared Still