RE: RMAN on Windows Server

  • From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:04:05 -0500

I agree with Niall. All pharma companies with validated env have hundred of
Windows servers (with all type of security compliance) without such issues.

You need to create a non-people domain account with no password expired option
and run all your scheduled jobs using that account.  It is quite acceptable
practice as changing password for hundreds of schedule jobs is not easy.
Besides running netbackup jobs also need such accounts to run dataabse server
backups.

Regards

Rafiq

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:45:38 +0000
Subject: Re: RMAN on Windows Server
From: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
CC: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx; bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm working for a VERY large global company, and they still have about 40% of
their databases on Windows. And this introduces a whole new problem, since we
can't actually create local users, we use our domain accounts to schedule
tasks, and as our passwords change, the scheduled tasks become invalid. Due to
compliance issues, we are still not authorized to create a Service Account in
order to schedule the tasks... so we started moving away from windows task
scheduler.

I'd say windows is an OS for desktop computers... not enterprise servers. I'd
much rather run linux (even RedHat) on any machine that supports windows. And
have a very robus environment on which to run Oracle... as opposed to the
Blue-Screen-Maker...
</rant>
I can understand the bias against windows, but your specific issues are almost
entirely unrelated to the operating system and instead related to the security
policy and likely the politics. If you also rotated unix os passwords on a
schedule and schedule using a central scheduler and don't allow the people
doing the scheduling to use appropriately privileged accounts then you'd also
be stuffed. If you are regularly having blue screens then you likely have bad
drivers or hardware. Actually I bet if you collect the stats your windows db
servers haven't been down for a blue screen for years if at all, it just
doesn't generally happen these days on server hardware.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=xbox+games&scope=cashback&form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_Shopping_Giftsforthem_cashback_1x1