Re: RMAN on Windows Server

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 07:15:07 -0800 (PST)

Are you using Database control or grid control? They will automate this for you
using the Oracle Scheduler. Of course, if your shutting down your database from
time to time then the database scheduler would not be able to run the backups.

You can also look at the schtasks scheduler or at (I prefer schtasks) to
schedule the batch files.
A simple RMAN backup batch file (usual disclaimers about testing, I'm not
responsible for the results of this file, etc) would
look something like this:

@echo off
rem backup.bat
rem RMAN BACKUP SCRIPT
rem For WIN XP
rem
echo %1
set oracle_sid=%1
if "%2" == "backup" rman target=/ cmdfile=backup.scr
if not ERRORLEVEL 0 echo "WARNING - FAILURE OCCURED"

if "%2" == "arch" rman target=/ cmdfile=arch.scr
if not ERRORLEVEL 0 echo "WARNING - FAILURE OCCURED"

and the scheduling would look like this:

schtasks /create /tn "database_backup" /sc daily /st 14:50:00 /tr
"c:\bc\rman\backup.bat rob10r2 backup>>c:\bc\rman\backup.output"
schtasks /delete /tn "database_backup"

schtasks /create /tn "archivelog_backup" /sc daily /st 14:45:00 /tr
"c:\bc\rman\arch.bat rob10r2 arch>>c:\bc\rman\backup.output"

and the scr command files would be something like this (this assumes you have
pre-configured channels, etc):

-- backup.scr
     backup database channel c1 plus archivelog delete input;

-- arch.scr
     backup archivelog all channel c1 delete input;

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it!
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Other various titles